Monday 14 February 2011

Last week round-up

Another good week - hooray! Last week I managed to squeeze 3 visits to the gym and 2 bike rides around my life. Not bad at all.

At the gym I am mainly using the cross trainer and recumbent bike to get my cardio in. Obviously I can't run (otherwise I'd be outside, not at the gym), and the rowing maching is out because Ms Physio wants me to protect my lower back. The recumbent bike is great, as I can lean back on the seat and not put any strain on my back at all, and the cross trainer seems like the best non-impact running substitute. I did try some fast walking on the treadmill, but my foot started hurting so I abandoned that idea.

On Thursday I really outdid myself, and actually went to the gym at 6am. The reason I chose to get inducted at the gym that is not nearest to my house, was because it's the only council gym that opens at 6am. That choice paid off for one morning at least, as I set my alarm for 5.45am, jumped in the car and drove about 7 miles just to get sweaty early. The only drawback was that I didn't get on the equipment until about 6.15am and I only fitted in 35 minutes of actual exercise before I had to get back home before Pete left for work. Next time I need to get there bang on 6 o'clock. I really enjoyed it though, and came home in a great mood feeling very productive. By 4pm, I was sitting at work, gazing into space feeling sleepy, but it was worth it.

On Wednesday and Sunday I managed to cycle in non-rainy weather. It was very windy on Wednesday though - I had the wind behind me on the cycle over the bridge to Fife, then it totally killed me on the way back. It was exhausting, but I do love that bridge route. Just over 9 miles in total.




















Forth Road Bridge

On Sunday we had friends coming for lunch, but I was highly organised, for once. I made shortbread and dessert (chocolate brownies) on Saturday, then went for a cycle on Sunday morning. I still only had time for about 30 mins on the bike, but I really enjoyed it. It was the most exhilerating ride I've had for ages - perhaps because it was only 5 1/2 miles. I undid all the good work afterwards though, with a large lunch of roast chicken and roast potatoes followed by very rich chocolate brownie with cream, then tea and shortbread in the afternoon. Again, worth it.

This week is half-term, so there is no school or playgroup to occupy the kids, so we'll see what I can fit in. Pete has some time off, and his parents are coming to visit, so hopefully there will be some extra childcare options!

4 comments:

  1. I wish my gym opened so early - I would love the option of getting it done and out of the way on busy days. I love the elliptical for a change on running but the bikes give me a backache. Haven't tried the rowing machine...
    For the curry, yes, we had it with brown basmati rice, some chapatis, roasted eggplant, cauliflower, a carrot-orange salad and a chicken tikka masala for the meat eaters in the family. Like I said, it was a feast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gym opens early but I rarely get there. Last week I was there at 4:45 and back home at 6! Loved it but I can't drag myself up to do it often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exercising in the morning does make you feel very virtuous. It's such a good way to start the day - and you don't have to make the effort to fit it in later when you're feeling tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work getting the rides in, in the winter still!

    ReplyDelete