Wednesday 11 May 2011

Midweek Musings

1. I am so glad I finally took myself in hand last week and cleaned up my diet. I wasn't all that strict, I just had my own rules about not overdoing it. It shouldn't be that hard, but I find it really difficult to be disciplined for 6 whole days in a row. On Sunday, we met some friends for lunch in a restaurant, and I did have pudding (cheesecake and it was massive).

This week I'm trying to stick to it for 5 days, then I can be a bit more piggy at the weekend. I can't believe I haven't done this sooner - I put on about 8 lbs at Christmas, and I kept 4 or 5 with me until last week - what an idiot. It seems to me that I can either be properly strict, stick to a plan and keep a record of what I eat, or I just have no self control whatsoever - there is no middle ground.

2. I got up for a run yesterday at 6.30am, and I felt distinctly unmotivated. This was partly because I wanted to sleep a bit more, and partly because I just felt a bit bored of my usual 3 mile run. I couldn't decide what this run was for, other than to increase my mileage for the week, and burn some calories. As I got to about 1 mile, I passed the local High school, and saw the running track painted on the grass. So I decided to do some track intervals instead.

I've only run there a couple of times before, over a year ago, so it was a great change from the usual plod along the streets. I basically ran 400m fast, 400m slow x 3, so after I'd run home, I'd reached 3.1 miles in total. My average pace was 8.49 min/miles, which is about the same as my usual pace for a short run, but it was much more fun, and I really enjoyed pushing myself on the fast intervals. It reminded me how important it is to keep things varied and not get stuck in a rut.

3. I felt fine after that run, but today, 24 hours later, I've got a bad pain in my foot. It's not even in the heel, and seemingly not PF-related, but I can't really flex my left foot, which is making me limp when I walk. I'd planned a run tomorrow and a longer one on Sunday, but I'm not so sure now. I'm going to rest it as much as possible (while looking after 2 kids), and hope it feels better after a night's sleep.

4. Regarding the Mum part of Runner Mum, look what I achieved this morning!




















I am totally useless when it comes to hair-dos, but both Robbie and Emma begged me to do a plait for her, so this is my best effort. Emma quite often gets her hair done in a fancy way from other girls at the childminder's and their 10-year-old efforts put my boring ponytails and bunches to shame.

Anyway, I'm off to spend the rest of the evening with an ice-pack on my foot, and I'll be moving from the sofa as little as possible. Please let it be better by morning!




















*Sigh* 'Mum, what's wrong with your feet now?'

7 comments:

  1. I WAS going to say good idea on doing the intervals and then I read further. I'm hoping that this is only a little speed bump.

    And I just wanted to say that Emma has gorgeous coloured hair. It looks like spun gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, that foot sounds a bit scary - hope it clears up by the weekend...

    Love the hair - I so wish I had a little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy, sorry about your foot. Hopefully it just needs a little down time then back to work.
    Impressed by your braid! I'm really bad at that stuff so lucky I have a boy I guess? Something I missed out on by never getting barbie dolls to play with as a young girl??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unplanned track workout? Nice
    hope the foot ends up being nothing to serious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your foot feels better soon. And your plait is first class. In fact plaits rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to the 3 others of you who commented before Blogger went mad - it disappeared your comments and they haven't come back!

    ReplyDelete