Friday 25 January 2013

Zipping up my Mansuit

In the last couple of weeks I have not been chomping at the bit to go out for every run. Doing extra work and being busy has left me having to do a few runs in the evenings, and I've found myself lacking motivation to go out in the dark and get cold.

On the Marathon Talk website they often refer to runners 'zipping up their mansuit', as they are forced to dig deep and tough it out. I'd like to think that this could equally be referred to as a 'womansuit', although I'm not sure it has quite the same ring. Anyway, I've felt like I've had to do a bit of this recently.

The weather has been so cold, hovering around 0 degrees Celsius (32 F) most days, and dropping lower at night. I've been wrapping myself up in 3 layers, gloves, scarf and woolly hat before stepping outside the back door to let the Garmin out to find its satellites. By this point I am always completely convinced that I'm going to freeze to death.

But I always pull myself together enough to venture out of the front door and get going. During the first few minutes I gradually realise that I'm running way too fast, in a subconcious attempt to warm up. However, I have to admit that after a mile or so, I generally feel, if not warm, then at least a bit less uncomfortable. And then very often, towards the end of the run, I remember that I actually really like running in the dark at night.

When I get home, I'm all warm and glowing with that particular smug satisfaction that comes after a good run. At least I haven't recently had to force myself out of my warm bed for an early morning run, and at least our back garden has gone from this:


to this:


Mwa-ha-ha! Come on spring...

5 comments:

  1. I love that smug satisfaction when you do something tough that you really didn't want to do. That's why I run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave you. I don't like it cold and dark. I can take cold in the light but darkness makes it so much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in the Netherlands same weather!! Coooold! But as you said I tend also to run faster to stay warm...cant wait for the spring!!! Good job and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know just how you feel! I just wrote a post about me being my own worst enemy during my run. But like you, I won!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you - it's really hard to motivate myself for cold, WET, dark runs and struggle to find that zipper to my womansuit. BUT, the days are getting a bit longer now. Hope the weather warms up for you!

    ReplyDelete