Tuesday 26 October 2010

Oops.

Since my physio appointment 2 weeks ago, in which I was given permission to try running again, I have managed no fewer than 5 runs. The mileage has been pretty underwhelming: I started with 1 mile; followed by 1.3m; 2m; 2.5m, then finally this morning, I reached the milestone of 3 whole miles! Woo-hoo!

Of course I am being very careful, running fairly slowly most of the time, and icing my foot after every run as well as every evening. The good news is that my foot felt fine for most of the running, but the bad news is that I can sometimes feel a little something there afterwards - I wouldn't go so far as to call it pain or even discomfort - but there is something. At least I think there is...

After the 2.5 mile run on Sunday, I felt a bit depressed. My foot was ok, but I had got so out of breath, and actually struggled to complete the distance! I realised that even when my heel is fully recovered, it's going to be a long road (ho ho) back to where I was before. Although the cycling has helped me not put any weight on, it hasn't been enough to maintain my previous fitness. For today's 3-miler I went quite a bit slower and it felt easier.

My consolation is that I don't have any races planned, and there's no rush to get back to a 2-hour half marathon. It's just me being impatient. Now I've started a little bit of running, I really want to do more. This morning I dragged myself out of a cosy bed at 6.30am to venture outside in cold drizzle and pitch black darkness, and it was great! I loved it!

I did a stupid thing though. I've more or less decided that the cause of my injury in the first place was old, worn down trainers, and I bought a new pair which I've been wearing for every run. As it was early this morning, I snuck out quietly without disturbing anyone, getting dressed in the dark in the clothes I'd put out last night. When I got home, everyone was up , and I mentioned to Pete that I'd had a bit of calf pain, and he pointed out that my trainers didn't match. I'd worn a new left one, but on my right foot (the one with all the injury - duh), I'd been pounding on the oldest and most worn out (and not used for running in for a few years) trainer in the whole world. What an idiot! Lucky it was only 3 miles!














Spot the difference...

I don't think I'd have noticed if Pete hadn't pointed it out. I hope my sleepy dopiness hasn't had any detrimental effects on my recovery...

9 comments:

  1. Haha, that's priceless. Least it wasn't all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throw the old ones away or put them somewhere else. Once when we drove quite a distance I had grabbed two right shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed with your discipline. As runners we all know what we're supposed to do when we're injured but it's always so tempting to ignore that and do what we want to do. You're doing everything just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha! Good job taking it easy - I need to learn from your example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha awww liz I can't believe you put odd trainers on haha. Throw the old ones away! ;o)

    You WILL get there on feeling good again and it will happen quick, just the patience you need to wait for your foot.

    Good luck you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really funny but can be a serious oops as well. Good luck with your recovery. You'll get back to where you were sooner than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there - I am sure it is really frustrating to be back to square one, but I am sure you will regain your previous fitness before long. Good on you for being so good about taking care of your foot (except for putting on the wrong shoe)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's funny :)) .. glad to see you are getting back there slowly though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry, I've thrown the old pair away, liz.

    At least I think it was the right ones... It was a bit dark...

    ReplyDelete