Sunday, 21 March 2010

9 Weeks to the marathon

Today is Sunday, so it's Long Run Day. I decided to join my Jog Scotland group this morning - usually their 8am start is enough to put me off, but as I have the place to myself, I got a reasonable night's sleep and set the alarm for 6.30am, so I could fit in breakfast.

I had thought I would be running with the slower group, but found myself running alongside someone who is considerably faster than me. Eek! At about 3 miles, I realised what a fast pace we were doing - around 8.45 min/mile compared to my usual 9.50-ish for a long run. So I told her to go on without me. However, she refused, which was lucky, as I would have got totally lost on my own.

We went towards Edinburgh, then around the back of the airport, often on quite busy main roads, so it wasn't the most scenic run.

Anyway, by about 6 miles I was a bit concerned that I wa
s about to burn out, so I proposed slowing down again. We did a bit, but you know how it is when you're with a better runner, and you don't want to slow them down? I really hate feeling that I'm holding someone back.

So we kept up a decent pace, although after a HORRIBLE hill at Kirkliston, we slowed down a fair bit. Then I remembered a gel sweetie in my pocket! I thought I'd better try one of these mysterious running aids before the marathon. They help you keep going for ages with a boost of energy like magic! Hmm - supposedly lemon, but not exactly tasty. Swigged some water, and waited for the hit of energy to come... woo, amazing my legs feel like lead. Oh well, maybe I'll take 2 next time.

We plodded on, and as we got to 13 miles, I really was very tired. The plan had been about 13.2 miles, but I'd had the brilliant idea of running to the start from my house, which is about 0.8 of a mile. As I hobbled towards the station car park, I looked at my trusty Garmin - 14 miles!! Awesome!

I had planned to walk/jog home as a cooldown, but Thank God I was offered a lift. I collapsed in the car, completely cream-crackered.

Got home, drank lucozade, stretched, then put my legs up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a flapjack in my hand and a bag of frozen peas on my leg. Watched Sunday morning tv (i.e. cooking) for about 30 mins, then
had a long hot bath. Then it was straight on with the gloriously sexy compression socks. Only time will tell how well my calf has held up, i.e. if I can't get out of bed in the morning, I've overdone it.

Hooray for my longest run ever, and being almost on track with my marathon training schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment