Thursday 23 June 2011

Moving

I've mentioned in the last couple of posts that we are in the process of trying to sell our flat and move. In fact it's quite a big move - we're going from just outside Edinburgh, to Brighton on the South coast of England. This is just under 400 miles, and over 8-hours' drive away.




















We are moving from the top arrow to the bottom arrow!


I realise that for some of my international readers our country is pretty small, but for us it's a big relocation. Pete and I have moved several times, and lived in Spain and Japan as well as England and Scotland, but this is the first time we've had to factor in schools and nursery. This is my priority now when looking for an area to move to, and it means that we need a new address by the time the English school term starts in September.

I absolutely love the village we live in now, and I'll be really sorry to take the kids out of the school here, which is fantastic. But since we had the children we've thought about moving down to England to be nearer all our parents, and Pete has managed to get a transfer from his current job, so we're quite lucky. In Brighton, we'll be much closer to most of Pete's family, and able to visit my parents and my sister a lot more easily than now. So although it's going to be hard saying goodbye (we've been in this area for 6 years), it's probably the best for all of us in the long-term.

For the moment, this means lots of decluttering, tidying, and packing, as we try to get our flat ready for sale. It should go on the market next week, so we need to be ready for viewings. I'm still trying to fit in as much running and cycling as I can, but there's a lot going on at the moment, and only one more week of school until the end of term in Scotland.

Added to that, our neighbours are getting married on Saturday, so my parents are coming up to babysit while Pete and I go a bit further North for the night. The weather has been cool and very wet recently, but apparently there has been snow forecast for up in the mountains! I don't know what I'm going to wear then, but it will be a nice break from all the redecorating and packing I've been doing this week!

8 comments:

  1. Wow you are taking a trip down south. You lived in Japan? I've always wanted to live there, how amazing.

    Wishing you lots of luck in your move :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is a big move but Brighton looks like a great place to live

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it doesn't snow! Good luck with the move. I have a good friend at work moving way way way across the country. I am going to miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow, that's a BIG move! So nice to be close to the coast, though, no? And will you have a little bit better weather moving south?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with all the house hunting and house selling and packing that you'll be doing in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, didn't know you were moving - hope it all goes well - I have a cousing in Brighton and she is always saying how gorgeous the weather is there when its raining and icy winds here! Best of luck. Be nice to catch up before you go - especially as we'll be on school hols after next week!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That should have been 'cousin' - some proofreader eh!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a big change, but for a great reason. Hope you sell your house soon and find a new home quickly!

    ReplyDelete